Department of Mechanical Engineering
The department of Mechanical Engineering was started in the year 2009 with intake of 60 students per year. The various features of the department are given below:
1. Vision of the department
- To facilitate our students to be successful Mechanical Engineer
- To facilitate our students to develop innovative projects
- To facilitate our students to be versatile
- To facilitate our students to be admirable
2. Mission of the department
- To educate Engineering concepts by simple examples
- To educate to know the current social requirements
- To educate the importance of participation
- To educate ethics and moral values
The department has the following labs with high quality equipments:
- Basic workshop
- Metrology lab
- Dynamics lab
- Manufacturing Technology lab-I
- Manufacturing Technology lab-II
- CAD/CAM lab
- Thermal Engineering lab-I
- Thermal Engineering lab-II
- Mechatronics lab
4. Faculty Members:
The faculty members in the department are qualified as per the norms of the affiliating Anna University, Chennai and approving authority All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi. The number and the cadre ratio of faculty members are maintained as per the norms. Two doctorates are available in the department and hence performing well.
The department of Mechanical Engineering is granted Permanent Affiliation by Anna University on 11.01.2020. This recognition is given for its consistent admission intake requirements and ‘NIL’ deficiency report in the last three consecutive inspection conducted by the University.
The department is recognized to be in the status under section 2(f) of the UGC Act, 1956 on 19-02-2020. This recognition is given for the fulfillment of certain norms of UGC. On possession of the 2(f) recognition, the department is eligible to apply and get grants from UGC for performing the given or proposed projects.
E(I) Students’ Chapter:
The department is granted Students’ Chapter of “The Institution of Engineers (India)” on 12.12.2016. This recognition can be used to get project fund for the students and faculty members from IE(I) and also eligible to apply and get grant to conduct seminars/ Workshops/ Conferences.
English Proficiency Training:
Apart from the curriculum courses such as Technical English, Communicative English, Interpersonal skills, Advanced Reading, listening and writing, and Communication skills, a separate training session in the name “English Communication Skills (ECS)” is conducted for all the I year students.
From II-year onwards, the following technical trainings will be imparted to students with the experts in the industry to be well versed in the subject learnt
- Non-Destructive Testing
Value Added Course:
From VI semester onwards, the following value added courses will be taught to the students to be more employable.
- Plant Design Management System – approved by Anna University
From III semester onwards, students are encouraged to go on In-Plant Training (IPT) during their semester holidays in the following industries for the better understanding of their subjects and to understand the industrial scenario.
- VST Motors
- TVS Motors
- Jayaraj Karz – Chevrolet
From III semester onwards, students will be taken to the following industries as Industrial Visit to enhance their knowledge in their subjects and to learn the industrial scenario.
- Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL), Bangalore
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Trivandrum
During the VII semester, all the students will be given placement training by the expert in the industry. The students will be trained in the following areas:
- Test of reasoning
- Group Discussion
- Personal interview
- English proficiency
- Communicative skill
At the end of the VII semester and in the beginning of the VIII semester, leading industries are invited for campus recruitment process. This is apart from the pooled and off-campus placement drive conducted elsewhere. The various companies who have recruited our students so far are:
- Hyundai Motors
- Ashok Leyland
- TVS Motors
- Sai Energy Pumps and Systems
- Texmo Pumps
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU):
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is signed with the following industries and Institution for continuous and consistent improvement and enhancement in all areas.
- National Institute of Technology, Trichy under SIEMENS Centre of Excellence in Manufacturing
- SASTRA University under AICTE’s Margadarshan Scheme
Students are always encouraged to develop their talents in various cultural activities like singing, dance, mime, mimicry, music, photography etc. Cultural event in the name “IGNITE” is being conducted every year to showcase their talents. They are also encouraged to participate in various contests conducted elsewhere like colleges, media etc.
Equal importance is given to sports and games as like curricular and co-curricular activities. Students are allowed to practice their games from 4.00 pm onwards on daily basis. Out door games such as Cricket, Foot ball, Hockey, badminton, Volley Ball, kabaddi, Kho-kho and athletic events like running, long jump, Javelin throw, Shot put and in door games such as Carom board, chess are practiced by our students.
The department has established its own research centre in a separate place. It consists of BOSCH tool kit, Micro-drilling machine, Spot welding machine, MEMS components. The followings are the achievements of the research centre:
- The centre has received a grant of Rs.50,000/- from IE(I) for doing the project titled, “Development of MEMS based personal factory for sustainable manufacturing system” on 01-08-2016. Project status: Completed
- The centre has received a grant of Rs.10,000/- from M/s Shanthi Sweets, Manaparai, to design and develop an automatic Halwa making machine. Project status: Completed
- The centre has received a grant of Rs.7,500/- from Tamil Nadu State Council for Science and Technology (TNSCST), Chennai for doing a project titled, “Analysis of Solar PV- panel cooling system using efficient coolant as heat exchanger”. Project status: On going
- The centre has developed an Electrical vehicle. Project status: Completed
- The centre has developed a Centrifugal casting furnace. Project status: Completed
- Scheme for fabricating an adaptive controlled parallel Stewart type robot for high precision accuracies, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Today, CMTI, Vol. 5 (3), 2006: 20-22.
- Exploration of optimum cutting conditions for maximum material removal rate in SiC grinding using Differential Evolution technique. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Today, vol.8, 2009: 34-38.
- Investigation of optimal machining parameters for turning operations using intelligent techniques, International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials vol.8, 2010: 146-166. Listed in SCOPUS (Elsevier)
- Optimization techniques for machining operations: A retrospective research based on various mathematical models. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology vol.48, 2010: 1075–1090. Impact Factor: 2.601. Listed in SCI-E.
- Particle swarm optimization technique for determining optimal machining parameters of different work piece materials in turning operation. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol.54, 2011: 445–463. Impact Factor: 2.601. Listed in SCI-E.
- Application of Particle Swarm Optimization technique for achieving desired milled surface roughness in minimum machining time. Expert System with Applications, vol.39, 2012: 5982–5989. Impact Factor: 3.768. Listed in SCI-E.
- Optimization of constrained machining parameters in turning operation using Firefly Algorithm. Journal of Applied Sciences, vol.12(10), 2012: 1038-1042. Listed in SCOPUS.
- Optimization of electrical discharge machining parameters on hardened die steel using Firefly algorithm. Engineering with Computers, vol.31, 2013: 1 - 9. Impact Factor: 1.951. Listed in SCI-E.
- Computational solution for multi-objective optimization problem in CNC milling operation using Particle Swarm Optimization technique, Journal of Bio-Informatics and Intelligent Control, vol 2, 2013: pp.1-9.
- Optimization of machining parameters in CNC turning using Firefly Algorithm, The International Journal for Scientific Research and Development, Vol.2, Issue 10, 2014, pp.56-61.ISSN (Online) 2321-0613.
- Optimization of cutting parameters in CNC turning parameters using Firefly Algorithm, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, Vol.10, Number 50, 2015, pp.621-629. ISSN (Online) 0973-4562.
- Software development for optimal selection of cutting parameters for productive CNC turning operation, International Journal of Advanced Research in Management, Architecture, Technology and Engineering, vol.2, Issue 2, 2016, pp.56-61. ISSN (Online) 2454-9762
- Experimental investigation and optimization of hardness in sand casting process by using the design of experiments approach, Applied Mathematics &Information Sciences, ISSN 1935-0090 (Print), ISSN 2325-0399 (Online), 11, No.3, 2017, pp.931-938. Annexure-I Serial No.889.
- Comprehensive analysis on Aluminium in Sand casting by using Intelligent Techniques, International Journal of Rapid Manufacturing, InderScience Pubilshers, 2019.
- Optimization of machining parameters for turning operations by Simulated Annealing Technique, Emerging Technologies in Advance Manufacturing (ETAM-2005). KLN College of Engineering, Madurai, 4-5th February, 2005:1-5
- Optimization of Machining parameters based on combined objective function for single pass turning operation by Simulated Annealing Algorithm, Contemporary Approaches in Design and Manufacturing (CADAM-2005). Alagappa Chettiar College of Engineering and Technology, Karaikudi. 23-24th March, 2005: 26-37.
- Computerized selection of machining parameters for turning operations by Hybrid Algorithm. Recent Trends in Mechanical Engineering (RTME-2007). Saranathan Engineering College, Trichy .10th February 2007: 1-4.
- Investigation of machining parameters for multi-pass turning operations by Particle Swarm Optimization. Automotive Manufacturing (NCAM-2007). PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore. 16-17th Feb. 2007: 13.
- Combined Objective Optimization of machining parameters for turning operations by Intelligent Techniques. Recent Advancements in Surface Engineering (RAISE-2007). Annamalai University, Chidambaram.15-16th March, 2007: 56-61.
- Optimization of machining parameters of multi-pass turning operations by Particle Swarm Optimization. Recent Developments in Production and Operation Management (POM-2007). Annamalai University, Chidambaram. 23-24th March 2007:50-56.
- Investigation of optimal machining parameters for determining surface finish in CNC turning operation. Optimization techniques and its application in Engineering (NCOTAE ’09). Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai. 6 -7 August 2009: 59.
- Optimization of constrained machining parameters in turning operation using Firefly algorithm. International Conference on Intelligent Manufacturing Systems (ICIMS-2012). SASTRA University, Thanjavur, 17-18 February 2012:pp.166–170.
- Bio-fabrication and testing of artificial metacarpal human bone for implantation. 3rd International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation (ICCCA-2017). Indra Ganesan College of Engineering, Trichy. 7-8 April 2017: pp.28
- Optimization of cutting parameters in CNC turning operations using Harmony Search Aloriothm. 3rd International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation (ICCCA-2017). Indra Ganesan College of Engineering, Trichy. 7-8 April 2017: pp.13
- Development of Micro Leaf Jig for Micro Components. Official Journal of the Patent Office, Intellectual Property India, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Office of Controller General of Patents, Design & Trade Marks, Government of India. Issue.54/2016, No.201641043779A, 30.12.2016: pp. 76945. [Filed & Published]
- Bio-fabrication of artificial metacarpal human thumb bone for implantation. Official Journal of the Patent Office, Intellectual Property India, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Office of Controller General of Patents, Design & Trade Marks, Government of India. Issue.03/2017, No.201641043776A, 20.01.2017: pp. 1418. [Filed & Published]